Jack of Tools for Windows 8 Metro FAQ.
Looking for Jack of Tools for Windows Phone? See that FAQ.
Tool appears to have an X over it.
- Windows is telling Jack of Tools that the hardware required for this tool is not present or non-functional.
- Check for correct drivers if you believe the hardware is present.
- Note that some tools may not function to 100% even though they don't have an X. In some cases, it is not clear until the tool is used whether the full support that is needed is present.
Compass stays at 0°.
- Please make sure you have the correct device drivers installed.
- If you are running a prerelease version of Windows 8, see if your hardware manufacturer has up to date drivers. Windows 7 drivers may work.
location, altitude, velocity
Accuracy says "No Reading" or accuracy is low.
- Typically this is because there is little GPS satellite reception. It is often difficult if not impossible to get a good signal indoors. Please see our additional info.
Accuracy says "Location Disabled".
- Your location setting may be set to off. Go to the Settings charm, Permissions, and make sure "Location" is set to On.
Accuracy when no GPS (on wireless network).
- If you have no GPS but are connected to a wireless network, Windows 8 can often pin point your location with surprising accuracy. In this case, Windows may report around 353 yards (~350m) of accuracy. For best results, a device with a built-in GPS or connected external GPS is recommended.
Accuracy when no GPS (on wired network).
- If you have no GPS and are connected to a wired network, Windows may report around 24mi (~38km) of accuracy. This location will often correspond to the location of your Internet Service Provider. For best results, a device with a built-in GPS or connected external GPS is recommended.